Feng Shui is a Chinese art of placement of things in a house that helps in creating a positive energy. It helps in creating an atmosphere of happiness and harmony within a house.
The practitioners of Feng Shui believes that by arranging the furniture and other décor items in the house as per the Feng Shui principle one can create a feel good environment within the house. Following the principles of Feng Shui, right from the front door to the rear, ensures our overall well being.
Here are few Feng Shui tips that should be kept in mind while decorating a house.
- Feng Shui should be applied in the house even before construction begins. While drawing out the plan for the house, make sure that the placement of the entrance door, window etc are as per the Feng Shui principles. For an already constructed house make the necessary changes in the structure to comply with the Feng Shui principle. For eg: as per Feng Shui principle, the main door and rear door should not fall in the same line as it can drain out the positive energy entering the house. If, by chance both doors fall on the same path, then an obstacle in the form of a plant should be placed to prevent the draining of positive energy.
- While doing up the interiors of the house also, make sure that the Feng Shui principles are followed. As per Feng Shui, an aquarium is supposed to bring wealth and good fortune. Hence keeping an aquarium in front of the house or on the living room is sure to bring prospects. Crystal figurines have the ability to absorb negative energy. Hence one can go for crystal figurines of lotus, rabbit etc which also serve as a decorative piece. But make sure that the room is not cluttered with lots of such decorative pieces, as a cramped up room can invite negative energy. Another decorative piece that can be kept in living room is Bagau mirror as they can control the flow of energy within the house.
- When it comes to dining room décor, round dining table is considered to be the best as circle signifies heavenly blessing. Make sure that the chairs are even in number. In case the dining area has any exposed beams, try to neutralize its negative effect by hanging two Feng Shui flutes at 45 degree angle on the beam, one at each end.
- Feng Shui principle states that when it comes to bedroom décor, under no circumstance the bed should be placed opposite the door as it implies coffin position. Bed should be placed facing the wall. Bedroom should be decorated using peaceful colors like blue and green. When it comes to using decorative items, “double it up” is the principle of Feng Shui. Hence it is a wise idea to place two table lamps on both sides of the bed.
- Feng Shui assumes great importance in kitchen décor as its principles consider food as wealth. As per the Feng Shui principle, the stove, refrigerator and sink should be kept diagonally opposite so as to create a triangle. But at the same time the person doing the cooking should be able to view other persons entering the kitchen. Mirrors can be kept on the wall in case there are any obstacles to this principle.
Feng Shui is meant to bring about peace and calm within the house. Decorating the house as per the Feng Shui principles is not a daunting task as simple things like wind chimes, flowers, crystal figurines etc are used for décor. A little knowledge of Feng Shui and the correct placement of items go a long way in making your life happy and peaceful.
The author Susan Johns is a freelance content writer specializing in home/interior décor writing. With over 5 years experience in the field of furniture and home decor, she has written numerous articles and blogs in this area.